One of the first steps in setting a goal for yourself is to know what your purpose in life is. Many students I talk to have not really thought this out and it’s really hard to figure out without doing some of the work of knowing yourself and taking the challenge of dreaming big. Do not delay figuring out a field or area you want to focus on. In the past, the first couple years of college give you the opportunity to try different fields and give you time to figure your focus. But many people will not have that luxury and having a focus or field now will give you an edge over other students.
Some tips for students
- Hey Students, it is your life! You are responsible for your own life and your own future. Parents can help and support but they can’t study for you. In the long run, you are going to have to pay your own rent, buy your car and pay for own phone.
- Set a goal for yourself. It’s really hard to get anywhere if you don’t know where you are going! Set a goal and start working towards that goal.
- Setting a goal is challenging. Take these simple steps to figure out what you want to do.
- Take 30 minutes and write everything you love doing and things you are really good at. Don’t over think it. Anything that comes into your mind goes on the paper.
- Examine your brainstorm. See if there is a pattern to your ideas. There might be a couple of areas you might want to consider.
- Answer this question with the information you have on the paper: 5 years from now, what does your life look like? What is the purpose to my life?
- Start collecting experiences in the area you are interested in. Take every opportunity to find out more about your field. Go on the internet and look up your field, how much people make in this field, what kind of schooling am I going to need. Volunteer in the field. Try finding a job related to what you want to do. Find a professional association; go to events, lectures around this field. Meet people in the field and ask questions. As you gain experience, you will start to see things that you enjoy and things to hate doing. Your experience will inform your decisions.
- Find your purpose. Everyone born on this earth has a purpose, a contribution to society and humankind. Write down that purpose.
- Check it out with friends and parents. Don’t be shy and tell the people who know you best what is your purpose. Take their advice but be true to your own heart.
- Find the best school to get the training you need, once you know what you want to do.
Knowing where you are going and taking action for your own life is the first step to a fulfilling life filled with exciting experiences, challenging goals and so much fun!
Ana Maria Soto
La College Guru