So you are going to community college! Good for you. So many people take this route but it can have its pitfalls. Here are the top 10 things you need to know about your choice. Get all you can from the community college and move on in your college career.
- The dropout rate at community colleges is dismal. Only 1 in 4 students actually graduates from a community college! Don’t be one of the dropouts. Check out an article here that explains some of the issues with community colleges.
- Prepare your move from the first day. Make sure you start preparing your move to a 4 year university and you have your plan in place.
- Choose your college for yourself not what your friends are doing. Take charge of your life; it is your responsibility. Friends, Mami and Papi are not in charge of your life, you are!
- Be determined to succeed in getting your bachelor’s degree. Once you decide your target transfer college and your mayor, you need a little planning. On the college website, look for the transfer guide and print it. This is your map. Take the classes that are listed on the transfer guide only.
- Register for your classes the first few minutes they come available. Many of the classes you need fill up quickly. Find out the best way to get in.
- Don’t give up easily. If you don’t get the class you need, take initiative and ask for an exception from an administrator or teacher. You will stand out from the crowd if you ask.
- Make college the priority. Clear the decks and take it seriously. Lower grades do not transfer.
- Get a job that fits your goals, not the other way around. Find a job that allows you to study or a boss that is supportive of your mission.
- Find the college counselor and make them your friend. Introduce yourself and leave your résumé with the counselor.
- Get into a college success class. Many colleges offer these courses for you to learn how to make it in college. This course should offer opportunities to work on your transfer plan.
Ana María Soto
La College Guru
Write to me at EducateLatina.com