I have been on vacation for a couple of days and have put of the fact that I need to write a post for you! Once you lose your rhythm it is difficult to get back into it. I spend all of Monday entranced with watching chapter after chapter of Downton Abbey! I am surprised at myself but Downton Abbey was all I wanted to do during the latest heat wave we suffered here in Chicago. I have delayed the writing for too long and had to resort to the best way I know to get back into deadlines and getting things done. It is a technique called time boxing, you put a box of time and get going. I have to box myself into the discipline of getting this out to you. This technique always has worked for me and I hope it does for you.
Time Boxing for you.
- Get a timer. Set it so you can see it.
- Set an amount of time you are willing to work on the task.
- Force yourself to work for a limited amount of time no excuses. I have set aside 30 minutes to write the first draft and then I can go do something I love. Not that I don’t love advising you on how to achieve your greatest dream of going to college. Thank God I finished Downton Abbey but the web calls me with Facebook, twitter and playing with my new app called cinemagram.
- Start writing and don’t think it has to be perfect! Don’t be too hard on yourself, just something on paper.
- When the trimer sounds– make a decision. It might be that you are close to finishing it and you just continue for a while longer or give yourself permission to get up and take a break. Most of the time, the hard part is to get going and once the first half hour is done, you have something to show for yourself. And I am getting close to posting this.
So how do you overcome procrastination? What would you add the technique? Time Boxing has served me well in the past and it worked once again!
I am preparing a post on Financial Aid and where to go for some great information.
Another quick question, do you think I should write my posts in Spanish? I have polled my readers and your opinion will help me make a decision. Become a member and don’t miss the upcoming posts. Write to me at EducateLatina.com
Ana Maria Soto
La College Guru @Latinasmart
Join me on EducateLatina.com Weekly posts on living the dream of going to college! Get your questions answered. I am here for you and will help you.
@anamariasoto This twitter feed you will find articles on art, photography architecture, leadership and politics and more.
https://www.facebook.com/EducateLatina You will find a stream of interesting articles and advise from around the web.